Search This Blog

Sunday 13 March 2011

Ontario Country Inn Cooking

A recipe from Country Inn Cookbook by Anita Stewart. Anita has a series of books on Canadian cooking, but I could not locate this specific one anywhere, so I am glad I kept it from the 80's. It features recipes from different small inns from across the country. 

The recipe I tried is a Deep Dish Mushroom Beef Pie by Ruth and Hal Petes, past innkeepers (this is a very old cookbook) of Union Hotel in Normandale, Southern Ontario.

Easy recipe overall where you brown the stewing beef and deglaze with red wine. You then fry lots of mushrooms with onions and garlic, add 2 cups beef stock and thicken with 3 Tbs flour. Add to the meat with 2 cups of canned tomatoes and their sauce, salt, pepper, fresh herbs and a bay leaf. Cook in a 325 oven for 1.5 hours.


This becomes the filling of the pie. Put it in a pie dish, cover with crust of your choice, and bake until the crust is cooked. I opted to make them as individual pies for my guests tonight, and each had their initial on their pie. A delicious dinner indeed.

No comments: