Search This Blog

Sunday 27 February 2011

Happy (Very Belated) Birthday Malai

A ritual is developing at somerville kitchen where birthday girls are designing their own birthday dinners from the blog (see Happy Birthday Tanya). Tonight's birthday girl was very clear on what she wanted - "World Diabetes Day" menu with Spinach Stuffed Meatloaf, Roasted Vegetables with Herbs and Baked Spinach Cauliflower.

With a menu cooked entirely in an oven, this was not the time for my not-functioning-so-well oven to break down completely, again (see Appliance Crisis at Somerville Kitchen).

My brand new fancy convection toaster oven gave me a hurt look saying "What about me? I can do it, trust me."


And it did!

I lucked out having four of those mini baking pans where two of them fit together in the toaster oven. The meat loaf was cut into two and baked together. 

When done, it was kept warm on top of the toaster oven as the two very packed vegetables' pans were roasting in it.

The dinner was ready with less than 30 minute delay and was described by the guests as "one of the most delicious meals ever".

Thank you Toaster Oven!

 

But, with Anita on vacation, we had to resort to a bakery bought cake - three layers of white, milk and chocolate mouse cake. Decadent, but definitely not an Anita Cake. 

No comments: