Search This Blog

Monday 18 April 2011

Chag Sameach - חג שמח

I will not claim that I am an expert on Passover, but I do know it is starting tonight. The most important Passover food staple is Matza. Leavened bread is not eaten during passover and Matza and Matzo meal (flour) are used as a replacement. 

So Matzo Ball Soup is for dinner. Internet search and chats with friends quickly helped me decide not to attempt making the overly complex Matzo Balls from scratch. Instead I bought frozen ones made by Solley's Bagelry (see www.sollysbagelry.com for locations). While I have never tasted home-made Matzo Balls to benchmark those against, I found them tasty, have hearty texture and, best of all, ready to throw in the soup.


Recipes around for the soup varied from using clear chicken broth to broth with carrots and celery to adding noodles to the soup. Nothing looked right so I contacted a Jewish friend of mine who, quoting her, said "the authentic Matzo Ball Soup is just chicken broth and matzo balls, that's it". So I prepared a home made chicken broth and added the balls to it and had a simple (but not bland) tasty Matzo Ball Soup.

Happy Passover Everyone!


No comments: