Search This Blog

Sunday 17 April 2011

Palm Sunday Meal

There are no traditional Palm Sunday meals that I am aware of or been raised to eat on this day, so I had to improvise. Here is what my own created Palm Sunday menu included:

1. Dates: Seemed appropriate given dates come from palms, even though I read that Jesus was eating figs when entering Jerusalem (in fact some cultures refer to today as Fig Sunday).


2. Palms: It is difficult to find any fresh parts of a palm tree in Vancouver, so I opted for a can of hearts of palms.

This was turned into a light salad with lemon, olive oil and salt. Cucumbers made for a nice addition and added colour to the platter.

3. Lamb: It just seemed sensible to have lamb meat on Palm Sunday. Lamb is common in the middle east and there are many biblical stories about sacrificing lamb.

What I did with the lamb was the same recipe I made six weeks ago - braised lamb with chard (see Most Delicious Thing I Remember Eating ).

4. Jerusalem Artichokes: Referred to as sunchokes, even though those have nothing to do with Jerusalem (they have been originally cultivated by North American natives). It just seemed appropriate.

I peeled them and cut them into potato chips-style circles, sprinkled with salt and deep fried them. 


Happy Palm Sunday Everyone!








No comments: