Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Live From Toronto

In Toronto visiting with my brother. My brother is an artist and this is one of his pieces showing us together as kids.


It is a beautiful rendition of an original black & white photo of us. More on the story behind this piece at inart-el-fen.blogspot.com - brothers. Or you can buy framed prints or originals of all his work at www.Inartelfen.com.
Back to food...The festivities began late afternoon with Kaisse - Arabic for drinks and mezza. Lebanese Arak was featured, but I opted for something local that I have not tried before - Steam Whistle beer.


This is a made-in-Toronto beer using just four natural ingredients: spring water, malted barley, hops and yeast. The bottles are made from thicker-than-average glass rendering those bottles less breakable and, as a result, having better recycling probability than other bottles. More on this at www.steamwhistle.ca




The mezza featured pistachios, Lebanese olives, cucumbers and my brother's home made Baba Ghanouj.                                             Now I know many of you have already asked me to feature the Baba Ghanouj recipe. But the way my brother made it is much better than mine on both taste and texture. Let me try this and will blog it later.


And the table was set for feasting.




The feast was the infamous MolokhiaTo know more about this lovely dish, see the following links:
Prize Feasting
A tastier production than mine . Is it because Toronto has better mallow leaves or could it be my brother is simply a better cook?. 





And then there was dessert - Kowl Wa Shkor (literally means eat and be thankful). This is lebanese-style small peanuts baklavas. 


Alas, memories of the previous two days  'travelling east with crappy food' are way behind me, thanks for this lovely meal. 

No comments: