Search This Blog

Thursday 24 May 2012

Wacky Cereal

A while back I tried to have Thursday articles a bit out of the ordinary to celebrate the end of a work week. I did not stick to it. So today I thought (a) I am going to try it again and (b) I am going to run a survey to find out if you like this feature or not.

So please vote on the poll to the right before you read this wacky Thursday article.

Any guesses as to what's in those bags?

It is somerville kitchen's wacky cereal created exclusively by and for somerville kitchen (trademark procedures in progress).

Here's the story.

Dad left behind a humongous box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes. I thought perfect - this will force me to have a healthy breakfast every morning without running out of cereal. Since by the time I buy another box I run out of the cereal eating habit all together.

Until I read its Nutrition Facts. You get 190 mg sodium to only 50 mg potassium and no proteins or fibres. In other words, you are eating fluff.

Okay, so what to do with this huge box? Throwing it out was not an option. I tried feeding it to the birds, but it didn't fly.

A light bulb went on. Mix it with other cereal.
I kept it in the family and went to the other extreme - Kashi Organic Cinnamon Harvest.

You get no sodium whatsoever but get 180 mg Potassium and 6 g fibre. Now this is more like it.

And the fact that it is all organic, sweetened with evaporated cane juice and has no added colour was even more appealing. The organic cinnamon is an extra bonus.

I just cannot believe that Kellogg's Corn Flakes have survived this long and remains to be THE cereal of choice for most families.


I still needed something more interesting than just mixing Kellogg's and Kashi  (they are already mixed up with each other so there was nothing new in this mix).

And another light bulb came on - "Ershaleh" (read about it at Goodies From Abroad). These are simple flour and water Lebanese crackers sprinkled with sesame seeds. They are typically eaten soaked in milk, making them ideal for somerville kitchen's cereal.

All three went into a plastic bag in equal proportions, shook till mixed and a cereal was born.

Only $19.99 a pound. 


No comments: