Search This Blog

Friday 11 February 2011

Tres Leches Cake


I was having a chat with Jackie, Shaktea's talented bakeress, about condensed milk and she brought up the Tres Leches Cake. Up till then I have not even heard of this Mexican cake. Given that I just love sweetened condensed milk and can eat a full can with a spoon in one sitting, I could not resist trying it.


The experiment started with finding a reliable recipe. Versions of it are abundant on the net - they all include the three milks - regular milk, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk. However, each version was different. So Martha Stewart, with her strong brand equity, won my trust (her recipe available at www.marthastewart.com/tres leches cake).

Not the easiest cake to make - bake,  poke,  add the three milk combo, chill. 

The cake was heavier than I expected (must be all the eggs), the milk mixture did not go into the cake enough. All-in-all it was not the most successful baking adventure at somerville kitchen.


At the end of the day, anything with sweetened condensed milk is tasty, at least in my books. But I am sure any of my featured bakeresses will make a way better version of this, so I am not going to attempt it again and leave it to the experts to make it for me.

No comments: