Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 March 2011

somervillekitchen Lent

This is a shot of a wall at somerville kitchen - most appropriate picture for the beginning of lent tomorrow: a framed last supper post card I received from a dear friend in the 80's; a New Orleans rendition of a cross; and wooden moulds for special Lebanese Easter cookies.

While I am a strong believer in doing more good in life during lent as opposed to giving up foods, I still like to give up some foods for lent as a way of injecting healthier eating into my life. This year's healthy lent eating theme is low cholesterol foods so I am giving up, as of tomorrow and for the duration of lent:

- All cheese except goat cheese
- Butter
- Cream
- Egg yolks
- Shell fish

So in the spirit of "Shrove" Tuesday, which is also referred to as "Fat" or "Pancake" Tuesday, I decided to indulge on cheese. 

But what to do with all this cheese? Left over Turkey chunks in the freezer, a bag of noodles, a can of cream of chicken soup, and some broccoli made for a perfect company for the cheese - a turkey casserole.

And now I can start my lent...

No comments: