Search This Blog

Saturday 4 June 2011

Food Shopping in Toronto Part A

A lot of time was spent food shopping in Toronto, too much time that I had to divide the posting over two days.

Galleria Supermarket - 865 York Mills Road, Toronto, Ontario

The first thing that came to my mind when I stepped into this Korean supermarket was "this is like London Drugs on steroids".

Everything was hitting me at once - produce, meats, rice makers, electronics, make-up, plastic containers...you get the idea.

The most fun was the cooking and eating area. You can pick up freshly made food that is pre-packed, order for take-out, or sit and enjoy a meal surrounded by Korean TV.

Overwhelmed I roamed, everything felt somewhat useless unless you want to eat it on the spot. Too early in the day to eat store-cooked Korean food.


Longos - 808 York Mills Road, Toronto, Ontario

A favourite of my brother's, this Toronto-based supermarket chain failed to impress me.

It is full of quality food, meats, cheeses, baked goods, fruit and vegetables, but it is trying to pretend it is a special kind of store and failing at it.

But then, we have Urban Fair in Vancouver, so being impressed by a grocery store is difficult.

And to impress less, a worker approached me to say, in a very mean unfriendly manner, that I can't take pictures without manager's permission. Too late...


China Gourmet - 877 York Mills Road, Toronto, Ontario

Now it is time to snack and China Gourmet takeout was it. As soon as you step in the place, you feel the quality of food and service.

Shanghai Noodles and Chicken Curry on Rice were picked up and enjoyed in the Toronto heat.

No comments: