Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Friendship Bread

I received this bag of dough starter from a friend. It was accompanied by a sheet of instructions for a 10-day process.

The story behind this bread is rooted in the Amish culture as Amish Friendship Bread. It is supposed to have originated as "just sourdough bread that is passed around to the sick and needy".

The process was really easy. Mush the bag everyday (I did it more than once a day, worried that the dough will explode over my new counters).

On the 5th day you add sugar, flour and milk and mush the bag for another five days. Now you are ready to share the starter and use the leftovers for your own baking. 

Tons of sugar, eggs and butter go into this. It turns out to be very heavy, sweet bread. I should have listened to my friend and and added some fruit and nuts which would have made it less dense.

It came out yummy nonetheless and I managed to have, as instructed, three starters, along with tasters, passed on to three friends.

Anyone interested in a starter, let me know (somervillekitchen@gmail.com); I can hook you up with my friends who will be looking for recipients of the starters in few days. However, be aware, in the Amish tradition, you cannot use any metal bowls or spoons for making this; even though there was no mention of metal baking pans.
 

No comments: