Search This Blog

Saturday 22 October 2011

Rick's Rub

I received this tin of Rick's Rub (more at www.ricksdryrub.com) as a gift from Rick himself. A deliciously smelling melange of spices and herbs with cumin, pepper, paprika, thyme, star anise and salts.

Within 24 hours I was dying to try it but was waiting for a recipe inspiration. This came from D's Kitchen food blog, a blog by a Dubai foodie. D posted a simple, yet delicious looking braised lamb shank recipe that I was certain Rick's Rub will enhance beautifully. And it did.

An easy recipe. 

I rubbed lamb shanks with olive oil and Rick's Rub. I then browned them on all sides, added chopped garlic, glazed with a bit of Sherry.

Now they were ready to braise. 

In a roasting pan, along with a bay leaf and 1.5 cups of meat broth. Covered, they braised at 300 degrees for 2.5 hours, turning them every 45 minutes.

Once cooked, the cooking liquid was transferred to a pot and simmered with pomegranate juice. The recipe calls for juice of 1/2 a pomegranate per lamb shank, but I only had 1/2 for all three.

The original recipe calls for serving with glazed butternut squash. Having none around, I opted to bake one of my jardin's spaghetti squash and serve with it.
Drizzled with the sauce, the combination of the amazing Rick's Rub and pomegranate juice created a nice tingling effect on the tongue. You just didn't want the meal to end.
As for the round things on the plate, those are tri-coloured small potatoes I found on Main street. They were fried in a way my mom used to make when we were kids and I have always loved. Here is how.
Half boil the potatoes, dry them, then deep fry them until the potato skins are all wrinkled. Heavenly. Highly recommend you try this.
Thank you Rick for the wonderful fresh rub!

Thank you D for the recipe inspiration!
 

Half a dozen flavours of Rick's Rub and his newly launched mayos are available at many stores, including my beloved Buy-Low. For full list of locations see www.ricksdryrub.com or ask me nicely at somervillekitchenwindow@gmail.com and I will find them and send you some as part of a barter arrangement.
 

No comments: