Search This Blog

Friday 18 November 2011

Soup in the Snow

Today, I woke up to this...


A perfect scene to make a nice warming soup, but what do I have to cook with? What kind of soup? A lost-in-the-clutter recipe sheet popped up for me.


Real easy...
- Shred cabbage to make 4 cups; dice 3 potatoes and 2 carrots and chop off some shallots
- Melt a combo of 1 Tbs butter with 1 Tbs olive oil; saute all vegetables, except cabbage, for 5 minutes or so
- Stir in 3 Tbs flour for one minute then add the cabbage along with 2 cups water and 2 cups chicken broth and simmer away


The recipe also includes dill, so I rescued some ready-to-freeze jardin dill from the snow and added to the soup.


And just two days ago, I received this lovely gift of dried lovage from Ontario, so used a bit of that instead of salt. It gave it less of a salty taste but more of a nice thickness to the flavour.


All was enjoyed in front of a wonderfully beautiful fire.

No comments: