Search This Blog

Monday 17 September 2012

Introducing Sofra

At the end of my Saturday's article on the Kerrisdale Trip, I promised to post a review of the new Lebanese restaurant I discovered, Sofra.


I pondered the name Sofra as I enjoyed a cold Ayran (the original salted yogurt lassi) on their patio. In Arabic, Sofra means a food spread, dining table or a dining room. It is also used as a complimentary term for a well put together meal.

The place lives up to its name. Ran by the owners who come from different parts of the middle-east, including Lebanon, these guys know what they are doing.

The Sofra Veggie included falafel, stuffed vine leaves, humus, baba ghanouj, tabouleh, cabbage salad and zucchini sticks. Most authentic in the city.



The best part about Sofra is their wood stove that drives many items on the menu (but I wish they baked fresh pita to come warm to the table like Beirut restaurants). They have a wide selection of what they refer to as Pide - a Turkish style oblong pizzas with excellent crust and many toppings that I need a dozen visits to try. I settled for the cheese and sujuk (a hot Armenian sausage). I'm eying the ground beef and parsley for the next visit.


And after 20 years in the city, at last a place that makes freshly baked Manakeesh. If they opened earlier than 11 am, I would be popping in for one every morning before work.


Keep up the great food, selection and authenticity Sofra and I am looking forward to my next visit.


Sofra Mediterranean Kitchen
 2277 West 41st Avenue
Vancouver (Kerrisdale), BC



Sofra Mediterranean Kitchen on Urbanspoon


No comments: