Search This Blog

Sunday 16 September 2012

Harvest Braised Chicken

You know fall is upon us when pumpkins start showing up at Farmers' Markets. Packed with those delicious roots from my Kerrisdale trip yesterday, I wanted to make something easy yet special for a lazy Sunday.

So I put together a simple braised chicken dish. Here's the recipe; real easy - 30 minutes of prep then you can sit and read a book as the oven does the work.

I seasoned chicken pieces with flour, paprika and pepper and fried them for a minute or so on each side.

Then I designed the braising platter:


I spread a can of tomato with its sauce at the bottom. The chicken went on top and was surrounded with four corners of each of pumpkin, turnip, potatoes and carrots. A bay leaf joined the party and the dish was ready to bake.


I covered the dish with foil paper and baked for 2.5 hours in 325 oven. I uncovered and continued baking for another half an hour and a delicious dinner was served.


Dinner accompaniments were all from my Kerrisdale trip yesterday and included: arugula salad with lemon and olive oil, steamed market broccoli, cauliflower and corn and a delicious Christopher Brown's, owner and baker of Rise Artisan Bread, loaf sold at Sweet e's every Saturday morning. 


 Guess who was the first to take a seat at the table? Chicken is cats favourite.

No comments: