Search This Blog

Friday 15 March 2013

My Favourite Meal

Mom was up by sunrise making me my favourite meal - Yakhnet Assasa.


Assasa refers to fresh striped beans and I lucked out to be in Lebanon during their season.
 
Those are bought fresh off the stalks. The beans are emptied out, washed and cooked. 

Given they are fresh, they cook pretty fast.



The beans are cooked in tomato sauce with stewing beef. 

The stew is then eaten over rice and vermicelli with a bit of fresh lemon juice.

And, since I was a kid, I loved this stew and always ate it with home-made cucumber pickles, which mom had ready for the visit.



Rumour has it I ate three of those plates, with lots of left-overs for snacks throughout the rest of the week here.

It freezes well. I wonder if I carry a frozen container in my luggage, would it stay fresh across half the globe?

Thank you mom!

No comments: