Thursday, 7 October 2010
Iraqi Date Squares
Best of International Cooking, Over 365 Recipes from 64 Countries.This is another cook book that I have had since the early 80's and is one that I use a lot (so be ready, it will be featured over and over here). It has at least 4 recipes from each country and comes in handy when you are preparing a country-themed dinner.
One of my favourite recipes from this book is Dates & Nuts cake from Iraq (page 114). Easy to make and stays fresh tasting for a long time, provided you can restrain from eating it all in one sitting.
- Combine 1 1/2 cup chopped dates and 6 Tbsp water and bring to boil, simmer for five minutes
- Stir in 2 Tbsp honey, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Butter a round 8 1/2 inch cake pan, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp bread crumbs
- Mix together 1 1/4 cups semolina or cream of wheat cereal with 1 1/4 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Add to the mixture 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp melted butter and mix
- Layer half the flour mixture in the pan, pour over the dates/walnuts mixture, then cover with the rest of the flour mixture
- Bake at 400 for 40 minutes