Search This Blog

Saturday 7 January 2012

Winter Farmers Market

Saturdays November 5 to April 28, at 10:00 am, rain or shine, farmers hang out at Nat Bailey Stadium (Ontario Street and 30th).

And today, I strolled over there in the drizzle.

By far my favourite discovery. Those are brussle sprouts on the stem. They last for weeks on those stems on your patio and are simply delicious. (Check out how I cooked them in the past at Night with Nigel).


Winter Farmers Market is also the only place where I am find quince. After my failed attempt of making quince jam (read the story at Quince Jam), I now have a new family trick of making it so will try it soon.


And of course, being a winter market, every version of squash in all colours can be found. Too bad my cellar is packed with jardin spaghetti squash; I better use those first. 

Anyone knows how long squash can last in a cool, dry cellar?

Other crops you find in abundance at the market are pears and apples. I stocked up on my favourite Ambrosia apples (did you know that these types of apples originated in British Columbia only a decade ago?).
A unique stand that is a regular one at the Winter Farmers Market is that of Dundarave Olive Co.

All sorts of flavoured olive oils and a wide variety of sizes, colours and flavours. Today they had the best looking baguettes in the whole market too.

And the list goes on - soaps, meats, eggs, baked goods, cheeses - everything you fancy and definitely worth the stroll on Saturday mornings.

All wet from the walk in the drizzle, a chili tank (looks like a real tank in which chili is cooking) served as a perfect warming up snack.


Definitely lots of fun and I am planning to stroll over every Saturday if I can. Any followers going there, drop me a note, would be fun to discover the market together one Saturday.

 

No comments: