Search This Blog

Saturday 17 March 2012

Irish Feast, Irish Food

For St. Patrick's Day, I elected to celebrate Regina Sexton style with her great book of recipes and stories - A Little History of Irish Food.

Spring lamb is regularly used to celebrate festivities in Ireland so I stuck to lamb. 

I also stuck to a simple production. 

Thin slices of garlic were inserted within the lamb. The meat was rubbed with pepper and cooked in a 350 oven for a couple of hours.

Fascinating stories in the book on cabbage so I tried Colcannon - mashed potatoes and cabbage.

"Did you ever eat colcannon,
When 'twas made with yellow cream
And the Kale and Praties blended
Like a picture in a dream? 


I am not sure how Irish corn is given it is a new world crop. But it was the first I've seen them this season and craved them.

 
Now I can lounge in my new library and enjoy some of my favourite Irish authors. 


Happy St. Patrick's Day.

No comments: