Search This Blog

Saturday 10 March 2012

Rub á Trois

Nothing can beat a Saturday night with not one but three Rick's Rubs.


It all started with a tempting recipe from Rick himself which initiated this experimentation.

It comprised of rubbing four pork chops with 4 tsp of Rick's Rub Asian. A melange of Chinese Five-Spice and Szechuan peppercorn, among others, worked exceptionally well with pork chops.

The chops grilled on high heat for a couple of minutes, then for 12 - 15 minutes on medium heat on each side (mine were big thick chops; if you are using smaller ones, the recipe calls for 8 - 10 minutes on each side).

The flavour was exceptional.


I had some green beans so used those as a side.

An experiment I tried before - sprinkle the green beans with Rick's Rub Heat (generous amount) and fry quickly in a bit of hot oil. Deliciously spiced.


  
 
Rick's recipe suggested a side of brown rice with Goji berries (which were nowhere to be found on Main Street).

I thought I will experiment with throwing a bit of Rick's Rub Moroccan in the rice and then sprinkle with some mixed dried berries I had.

I used just a dash of the rub in the rice water and it was not enough - I should have used a full tsp.

Better yet, one idea that came up a bit too late in the dinner was to fry the dried berries in a bit of butter and Rick's Rub Moroccan then drizzle over the rice. I cannot wait to try this.



What a delicious dinner. Thank you Rick's Rub for the inspiration. Now I have to wait for a creative moment and see if I can come up with a dinner using six of them. Stay tuned.


No comments: