Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Attempting Jewish Cooking

With passover week in progress, it was time to open this cooking book I got for Christmas - Kosher and Traditional Jewish Cooking by Marlena Spieler.

Many options to choose from but I landed on the writer's grandmother's recipe called Bachi Braised Minced Beef Patties with Onions (Page 77).

It is simply a Jewish version of hamburgers but with more interesting approach and flavours.

The ground beef patties include garlic, onions and soy sauce. They are browned, then braised on low heat covered with onions and green peppers.


As a side I made Tunisienne Potato and Olive Salad (Page 122). Potatoes boiled with salt and sugar to start.

The spicing is the secret - garlic, vinegar, cumin, parprika, olive oil, coriander and olives.

I also tried the author's hummus recipe (Page 25).

It is basically very close to the Lebanese version (not surprising given where all of this originated). But her recipe includes cumin - not a bad enhancement.


Next time I tackle this book I am planning to get out of my Middle Eastern comfort zone and try some of the European-originating Jewish recipes. Wish me luck. 


No comments: