Search This Blog

Saturday 23 June 2012

Cultural Leftovers' Intermixing

My day began at 5:00 am being woken up by cats angry about an intruder in jardin.

The standoff lasted a while, and despite it was still 6:00 am, my list of chores and work items is as long as Canada is wide. Plus I wanted to sneak in a nap.

So what does this all have with food? It is a preface to say no time for grocery shopping or real fancy cooking. So leftovers it is.

To follow the story better, you may want to check the Pakistani Chaat I made last Saturday (click here to read), my picnic with Palki (click here to read) and my Mehshi Kousa wa Batenjén (click here to read). 


My lamb vindaloo from Palki was disappointing and was frozen for the past month waiting for inspiration.

The inspiration came tonight. The vindaloo was thawed and put in a pot.


Potatoes were chunked, fried and added to the pot. A chilli pepper, some fresh masala, a bit of yogurt and all were left to simmer, hoping for the best.

Just in case this remained disappointing, another project started.
I had lots of leftover Pakistani chaat. Rich with beans, vegetables and spices, it needed a bit of balance.

Leftover mehshi stuffing in the fridge (ground beef with rice, uncooked) and leftover tomato garlic mehshi sauce seemed to be the right balance.

Everything was thrown in a pot and left to simmer, hoping for the best.

The two dishes turned out a success. The rice and meat nicely absorbed the chaat spices and a Pakistani-Lebanese rice pilaf was served.

The vindaloo-turned-curry was much nicer than the original.
Home made Raitaa was produced and the first jardin radish was pulled out to join the cultural leftovers' intermixing meal.

Wonderful results, thank you cats for waking me up early.

No comments: