Search This Blog

Saturday 6 October 2012

Trois Salades Fatreen

Back in August, I wrote Trois Salades and Jardin Trois Salades. With the almost summer-is-back weather we are having, dinner was Trois Salades Fatreen.



Fatreen in my mother tongue means warm, reflecting those three dishes.

An easy tasty recipe from the old timers Lebanese villagers. For those villagers who may not have been able to afford meat, they used bulgar wheat as a replacement. This dish is one of those replacements.

Fry some onions in olive oil, add tomatoes, 2 cups water and 1 cup bulgar wheat. Cook until the liquid evaporates.

Served warm, sprinkled with jardin parsley and served with home-made yogurt.


The next salad in the Trois Salades Fatreen series was a somerville kitchen made- up quinoa salad.

I first cooked the quinoa. While still warm, I mixed it with chopped lettuce, red peppers, parsley and shallots. Sprinkled with light vinegar and oil, served while the quinoa is still warm.

I should remember this salad every time I have leftovers vegetables to get rid of.

  
And finally, a simpler than simple potato salad.

Small market potatoes simply steamed and eaten warm with home made butter. Yes, less is more for sure in this case.

Now which was my favourite of Trois Salades Fatreen?

Any guesses?


No comments: