Search This Blog

Thursday 29 November 2012

Happy Birthday Jimi Hendrix

On the corner of Main & Union streets, in Vancouver, is a shrine to Jimi Hendrix.

"You have to go and be crazy, craziness is like heaven"

Since it is his birthday this week and his shrine is about a restaurant and a garden, somerville kitchen Wacky Thursday is paying a tribute to Jimi Hendrix in his shrine.

The location of the shrine used to be Vie's Chicken Inn where Norah Hendrix, Jimi's grandmother, cooked for many years (yes, Jimi's father is Vancouver born).

"Even castles made of sand, fall into the sea, eventually."

It is not clear when all the transitions from Vie's Chicken Inn to a a gallery called The New Tiny to the shrine took place.

"I just hate to be in one corner. I hate to be put as only a guitar player, or either only as a songwriter, or only as a tap dancer. I like to move around."

While unsubstantiated in many online articles, the story is that Jimi used to help his grandmother serve major musicians of that time who used to hang around at the cafe.

"Imagination is the key to my lyrics. The rest is painted with a little science fiction".




Despite being closed, you can easily see this garden where the sign claims Jimi was there on his last day.

Unfortunately you'd have to wait till June to experience walking on the same steps as Jimi (the shrine opens June - September, 1:00 - 6:00 pm).
 
"To be with the others, you have to have your hair short and wear ties. So we're trying to make a third world happen, you know what I mean?"

I am now dreaming of sitting with my book in this third world that this small spot created and enjoy knowing I am close to the spirit of Jimi.


"I used to live in a room full or mirrors; all I could see was me. I take my spirit and I crash my mirrors, now the whole world is here for me to see".


And finally I leave you with my favourite quote from Jimi (and so true) "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace".

 

No comments: