There are many recipes for Irish Stew with several variations. I reviewed few recipes and took aspects of each to come up with tonight's meal. Here is the recipe.
- Brown a chopped leak in butter/cooking oil mixture
- Roll lamb stew meat in flour/salt/pepper mixture and add to the leak, brown on all sides.
- Add 1 cup Guinness beer and 1 cup water (add more if need to until meat is covered)
- Simmer for 1 hour
- Add the vegetables (potatoes, white and yellow turnips, carrots) and simmer for another 20 minutes
- Cook dumplings in the stew and serve
- Mix 1.3 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt
- Add 3/4 cups milk and 2 Tbsp salad oil - mix
- Drop in stew, cook 10 minutes uncovered and 10 minutes covered
Tonight's entry and recipe are dedicated to Cassandra - enjoy your upcoming adventure!