Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Discovering Kerrisdale & Dunbar (At Last)

Twenty years in Vancouver and I have yet to visit Dunbar Village. Nor can I say I know Kerrisdale well.

So another vacances day with nothing to do. Cats has had enough of me lounging around, so I packed up and west I went.

Some snippets of the day.


Sweet-e's, 2032 West 41st Avenue, Vancouver, BC www.sweet-e.ca

The real highlight of the day and a must-visit if you are in Kerrisdale. A cake boutique owned and operated by two sisters that welcome you to the place as it is their home.

One amazing looking and smelling cake after another kept on coming out of the kitchen as I was standing there deciding what to get.

Pavlova, lemon meringue, chocolate cakes, including a flourless cake where flour is replaced by enhancing the amounts of cocoa, butter and eggs - decadent or what.

Not to miss the on-premise made and hand-wrapped truffle pops that come in four unique flavours. Again, a must visit. 


Stong's Market, 4560 Dunbar St., Vancouver, BC www.stongs.com

An independent, one location, neighbourhood grocery store established in 1931. Stong's serves as the most convenient grocery store option for Dunbar residents.

Personally, I was expecting something more unique in terms of the shopping experience, layout and/or selection. But it is just another grocery store that closely resembles my beloved Buy-Low, but paying 30% premium.

Though it does have a delicious looking deli and ready made foods, including those cute mini falafels that I regretted not getting some afterwards.

As I was strolling looking for unique items that I cannot buy within walking distance of home, the pasta display arrested me.

Their pasta collection was getting close to Toronto's McEwan (see Food Shopping in Toronto). This is where I broke down and picked up a three peppercorn fettuccini and a foglie d'ulivo agli spinaci.


Kerrisdale Nakamura, 2055 41st Avenue, Vancouver, BC

This restaurant opened just yesterday and it's definitely worth trying.

Very simple Japanese cuisine menu and extremely helpful and friendly servers who guided me through the options.

I have never tasted Spinach Ohitashi before - fresh tasting with dried Bonito fish shreds.

The elegantly presented meal included the Tropical Futo Maki - a roll of mango and cucumbers - and a smoked salmon roll. Again, the freshness of the ingredients and the taste strikes you at this restaurant.

And, for the first time as well, I tried the Akami Sushi, red tuna, which I will seek out from now on.Kerrisdale Nakamura on Urbanspoon


Butter Baked Goods, 4321 Dunbar St., Vancouver, BC www.butterbakedgoods.com

I have seen and tried Butter goods from Urban Fair before, and can't say I was overly impressed. But seeing their retail outlet was worth the visit.

Yes, the place looks cute and fancy, but it did not stack up to my other bakery discoveries of the day on either service or offerings.

No comments: