Search This Blog

Saturday 20 August 2011

Fraser Street Adventure Part 2

Last Saturday, an Empress, a Lady and a Blogger head out to Fraser Street for a 3-hour exploration. Read the first part of the adventure at Fraser Street Adventure Part 1. Today, the story of the remainder of the adventure, covering the west side of Fraser Street.

Fraser Delicatessen, 6579 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC 604-321-8575

A sweet German store and delicatessen where I was treated to a care package of: Schlaff-nerven tee, a natural herbal tea to put you to sleep, Goldsaft, sugar-beet syrup that is supposed to taste great over toast and Brandt Rusk which, according to my company, tastes great in milk. I think I will like those German breakfasts this week.

Garden Fresh Food & Grocery, 6529 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC 604-325-2444

GF is a mishmash of fresh fruit and vegetables, Indian and Asian packaged goods, bulk spices and grains and frozen goods. It is not necessarily my favourite market on Fraser, but I could not resist the Anita's Organic Mill flours. Wonder if Anita Cakes are all made with those?

Fruiticana, 6387 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC 604-321-9931

This place is always hopping. It has one of the largest selection of herbs and spices I have seen in the city and always interesting fruit and vegetables. Today's discovery is Thai Eggplants - green, perfectly round and look like a piece of art. I wonder if they will taste like a piece of art.

Spice House, 6169 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC 604-323-2529

Now this is my preferred fruit and vegetable store on Fraser street. They always have the basics, along with great eggplants, zucchinis, cucumbers and okras. But today I found something I have not had in decades - fresh chickpeas. Yes, this is how chickpeas grow, and you can open those pods and eat the green tiny chickpeas as a snack.

Deutsches Haus, 4875 Victoria Drive, Vancouver, BC 604-874-3811

Three hours of exploration is hard work and all were hungry. A diversion from Fraser Street to one of my favourite restaurants in the city. Lunch of Jagerschnitzel with potato dumplings and red cabbage along with a Hefeweizen. What a great way to wrap up the adventure. Thank you Empress and Lady for a fantastic adventure.

- The End -

No comments: