Search This Blog

Sunday 5 February 2012

I Love Sundays

A nice dry Sunday with no plans. I did my Sunday morning rituals (that story for another Sunday), had a long afternoon nap and decided that the best way to keep the chill of the day is not to do any food experimentation tonight. 


I opted to repeat my latest roasted chicken adventure (read Dinner with a Centaur) where the perfect roasted chicken is:

- Stuffed with rosemary, thyme and garlic;
- Roasted on its side on high temperature until it sizzles;
- Turned around and roasted slowly on low temperature until it is ready.


What's a roasted chicken dinner without Janice Wong's Chow's Popovers (most of you have read about those a dozen times already, but if new to the blog, check out the Sunday Dinner Accompaniments article).

I am not sure how long Ms. Wong will tolerate my messing up her recipes (see last time I did this at Gung Hay Fat Choy), but I felt bratty and wanted to experiment with replacing milk with buttermilk (just because I had some in the fridge).

Those on the left hand side are tonight's with buttermilk; those on the right are previous ones with milk. The milk ones taste more savoury, are crunchier inside, and look more "right". 


Well, at least they turned out and did not bake into a burnt lump.

Mashed potatoes and somerville kitchen's coleslaw (recipe at Soup & Salad) saved the dinner.

And the best part of Sunday is playing with the food (popover chicken sandwiches), then playing with pictures of the food.

No comments: