Search This Blog

Friday 18 May 2012

Picnic with Palki

With my favourite Indian restaurant that used to deliver burnt down (read Raving about Tandoori King), finding a good Indian restaurant that also delivers is proving to be a challenge. 


One find was Palki Restaurant on Commercial Drive. Great phone service when placing the order, but when the food arrived they wanted to charge $5.00 because I'm outside the delivery area. I refused, of course, since this was a surprise charge that I was not told about on the phone. The delivery guy was gracious enough to accommodate "since I was a first time customer". 

As for the food...

The vegetarian samosas were tasty, but nothing special to warrant $2.50 each when you can buy the same quality at 3 for a $1.00 on Fraser Street.

The butter chicken's flavours were fresh, not extremely spicy.

The chicken pieces were exceptionally taste. You could tell quality chicken breasts were used.

I ordered the Hari Bhari Sabzi simply for the appealing name and the chef's special sauce.

It was special alright. Packed with all sorts of vegetables, nicely spiced. I bet this will get even tastier if left overnight.


The lamb Vindaloo was a disappointment. Something amiss with the spicing that I'm not sure what it is. 

Rather than waste it, it is now freezing nicely in my deep freeze. I am hoping to bring it out one day, add some spicing, maybe a bit of yogurt, some vegetables. Then, the combination of enhanced spicing and sitting in the freezer for months may turn this into a fun tasty experiment. I will keep you posted.

At the end of the day, it was an alright picnic. In the absence of other recommendations from you my readers, I may end up ordering Palki again.






 Palki Indian Restuarant
1130 Commercial Drive
Vancouver, BC

Palki Indian Restaurant on Urbanspoon

 

No comments: