Search This Blog

Friday 7 February 2014

Have You Heard of Harmony, Indiana?

What is this you ask.



It is a sausage roll from one of my favourite cookbooks - Recipes From America's Restored Villages.

This recipe is from Harmony, Indiana, a town of 656 people (in 2010); the first town introducing communal living in the US (thus the name).

Easy to make with mashed potatoes as base. 

The recipe says unseasoned mashed potatoes. My readers, does that mean no milk or butter or just regular mashed potatoes with no spices? I went with the latter, but given how difficult it was to roll, I am not sure it was the right interpretation. 

You mix the potatoes with sausage, onions and herbs and turn into a roll (after the fact, I thought it would have been fun to keep the sausage intact in the roll - next time).

The recipe calls for covering the roll with oats. I had none so used corn meal.


Despite the messing up on the recipe and after baking in a 350 oven for 1.75 hours, it was a very flavourful dinner.

Glad I tried it. Will I do it again? Most likely.

No comments: