Search This Blog

Thursday 3 November 2011

Everyday Indian Recipes

Everyday Indian by Bal Arneson is not the most conventional Indian cooking cookbook. I have been looking at it for over two years and not getting inspired to try any recipes - until tonight.

Two great recipes that are sure a repeat and which I thought I will share with you.



1. Traditional Chicken (where Bal tried to recreate the taste of chicken she recalled from her childhood).

Combine 1 chopped onion and 2 Tbs of each crushed garlic and ginger. Cook in oil for 5 minutes.

Add 1 Tbs cumin and 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (skipped latter) and mix for 10 seconds.

Now add 1Tbs tomato paste with the following spices:



Garam Masala (1 Tbs), Spanish Paprika, Turmeric, Salt (1 tsp each) and a chopped green chilli.

Add chicken and fry for 4 minutes, then add 2 cups chopped tomatoes, and potatoes (I used red peppers and broccoli instead). Cook for 15 minutes then let sit before eating. Yummy.


2. The Author's Mother's Chickpeas

Quick and tasty: Repeat the first two steps of the recipe above (onion, garlic, ginger and cumin). Stir in 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1 chopped green chilli, 2 tsp Chana Masala and some salt. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, then mix in ready-to-eat chickpeas and off to the table.


I know I am not supposed to do this, but I mixed the two together and ate over rice. Amazing - all tasted fresh and authentically ethnic. (And yes, each tasted excellent on their own).

For greens, I prepared my famous fried lettuce (see What's the Lettuce Doing in the Frying Pan post for recipe) as a side.


No comments: