Search This Blog

Monday 28 November 2011

Lebanese Stews Series - Fasoulia Aarida (Large White Beans)

Fasoulia Aarida means literally wide beans and in Lebanon we love our beans' stews (see Fasoulia, Assasa & Loubieh stews entries).

The premise of this stew is identical to all Lebanese stews - see details at Lebanese Stews kick off entry.

You start with cooked large white beans.

You can use stewing beef or cooked chicken with this one. I personally prefer this stew with cooked chicken. 

You then add tomato sauce (for increased flavour, you can add 1/2 cup chicken broth as well).

Add the Alleyeh and simmer for 30 minutes.

In previous Lebanese Stews Series entries, I talked about how some go well with plain rice while others go better with rice prepared with vermicelli. This one is definitely a rice plus vermicelli kind of stew (and remember to use long grain rice, not Basmati rice).

Now I have to call my mom to remind me of an eighth Lebanese stew to feature.

Click on Lebanese Stews Series under label to the right hand side and see other Lebanese stews recipes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oohw a delicious hearty stew for when the cold weather is here. Me, I'm a beef 'n beans man myself. Chicken just won't do. ;·)