Search This Blog

Friday 3 February 2012

Does Celery Grow in India?

I am sure Bal Arneson, Author of Everyday Indian, won't be impressed by my incorporation of celery in Indian cooking (read more about this book in Everyday Indian Recipes).

I had celery at home, but cream of celery soup felt very boring to end the week with. Flipping through the book, I found a Spinach and Green Peas recipe (page 95). It felt right, only to replace spinach with celery.

First, fry 2 Tbs grated ginger and 1 Tbs grated garlic in a bit of oil.

Add chopped chili and 1 Tbs  Masala along with 1 chopped tomato. Cook for another minute and add spinach.

At this point, reality hit - how will replacing celery for spinach going to work. Too late; by now I have gone too far into this.


Well, I added the celery and let it cook longer than the recipe asks for cooking spinach. 

When the celery looked cooked, I added the 1 cup of peas and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
 
It was a delicious concoction, eaten with brown rice and homemade Raita.


Thank you for the inspiration Bal!

No comments: