Search This Blog

Sunday 16 March 2014

Cooking with Coffee

I've owned The Coffee Book (a collection of savoury & sweet recipes made with coffee) for over 30 years.

Now that I rediscovered my passion for coffee by discovering Kicking Horse Coffee, (Read Snowy Monday) I can make good use of it.

Today I tried a Coffee Carrot Cake - exceptional so I am sharing the recipe.

- Cream 0.5 cup butter with 0.75 cup sugar
- Beat in 1 egg, 0.5 tsp cinnamon, 4 Tbsp marmalade (high quality marmalade to match the high quality Kicking Horse Coffee). 

- Add 2 Tbsp orange juice, 4 Tbsp black Kicking Horse Coffee and 1 grated orange or lemon rind

- Beat well and set aside

- In a separate bowl mix 2.5 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 cups grated carrots and 0.5 cups chopped walnuts

- Gradually mix the flour/carrot mixture into the beaten mixture

- Bake for 1.5 hours in  350 oven

Yes, I thought 1.5 hours was too long, but it baked very well and remained nicely moist.


But wait, there is icing to make. 

- Cream 0.5 cup cream cheese and 4 Tbsp butter

- slowly sift in 0.67 cup icing sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and juice of 1/2 lemon

Delicious even though it looks like catsses creamed the cake with her paws.

No comments: