Search This Blog

Thursday 24 February 2011

Hungry in San Diego

One more time, as most of the continent (including Vancouver) is suffering from snow and below freezing temperatures, I was having dinner on a patio in San Diego (see previous similar occasion Sun in San Fran).

My day started at 5:30 am and by 5:30 pm, with a flight, work and one disgusting Air Canada sandwich in my tummy, I saw this restaurant from the hotel room and did a straight line to its patio for a San Diego style sushi feast.

But first, a discovery of the delicious soda - Lorina Pink Lemonade. Little did I know that this is a product that traces back to 1895 France.

Feasting began with a 3/4 of their Beauty Roll (I was reading a book by Alan Hollinghurst, author of Line of Beauty which made this roll quite appropriate). 

This was a roll of spicy tuna, crab, cucumber, avocado, kaiware (Japanese sprouts) and topped with tuna and white fish. Served with fried slivers of gabo (burdock root).

I then progressed to some sushi - Tuna, Salmon, Halibut and Yellowtail. 

The platter came with one extra piece of sushi, on the house - some fish that I am not familiar with. I think they realized I was starving based on my order and threw in some more food out of feeling sorry for the hungry.


The main meal was a plate of Chicken Katsu Curry. I had their curry before - tasty, albeit envelope made, vegetable curry that comes in a huge plate. I thought this will be a half order of curry with a bit of chicken on the side. Little did I know that this was a two-in-one platter, US portion! Half was taken in a doggy bag and left on the hotel patio for midnight snack.
 

Nozomi 2
4150 Regents Park Row, Suite 190
La Jolla, CA

No comments: